During his visit to New York for the chess congress in 1857,
Morphy stayed at the famous St. Nicholas Hotel
St. Nicholas Hotel, 1860
The Gentleman's Magazine, 1856
A New York Hotel.-- The proprietors of the St. Nicholas Hotel have published a
description of their immense establishment, form which we quote a few
The St. Nicholas has a front of 270 feet on Broadway, and a depth of 200 feet,
thus covering an area of one acre and three-quarters in the most valuable part
of the city. The building cost 1,200,000 dollars, and the entire cost of the
building, furniture, &c., was 1,900,090 dollars. The area of the front wall,
which is of marble, is 18,060 feet. The building will accommodate 900 guests,
and has frequently contained over 1,000. It was completely finished on the 1st
of March, 1844. The number of rooms is 600, all well lighted, and provided with
hot and cold water. These include 100 complete suites of rooms, with baths,
water-closets, &c., attached. The three largest dining rooms in the house
aggregate 9,000 superficial feet, and can accommodate 600 guests. The costs of
the mirrors distributed about the house was 40,000 dollars, and of the silver
ware and plate 50,000 dollars. The proprietors are Messrs. J. P. Tredwell, J. P.
Acker, and Virgil Whitcomb. The number of servants averages during the year
about 320. The hours for meals range through nearly the whole twenty-four,
excepting from midnight to five o'clock a.m. There is a regularly organized fire
department in the building, with steam power for forcing water to any portion of
it. Eighteen plugs, with 200 feet of hose each, enable the engineers to flood
the building in six minutes from the time the alarm is sounded. The house
consumes 18,000 to 30,300 feet of gas nightly, from 2,500 burners; -- it is made
on the premises. The laundry employs 75 laundresses, and can wash and iron 6,000
pieces per day. Steam is the great agent in this process, and is extensively
used in the St. Nicholas for boiling, washing, mangling, drying, turning spits,
heating water, &c. We are happy to learn that the talent and enterprise, as well
as the capital invested in this magnificent hotel, are being liberally rewarded.
The proprietors are both making money and reputation.
--New York Mirror.
The St. Nicholas Hotel closed it's doors in 1880. Today, where
it stood on 521-523 Broadway, between Broome and Spring streets, still stands
the remnants of it's marble facade.
The Hotel St. Denis, located on Broadway at 11th Street is the building on the
left with the word "Hotel" near the top. In modern times, the decorative facade
of the Hotel St. Denis was stripped away during a renovation, converting it into
a plain business-type building.
The Hotel St. Denis was designed by James Renwick in 1853 and, except for the
Trinity Building (erected in 1851 and demolished in 1853) was the first
building in New York to employ terra cotta for exterior architectural ornament.
(terra cotta was found to be fire-resistant).
A 1910 advertisement
Broadway and 11th St., N. Y. City
One of New York's best conducted Hotels,
made popular by its refinement, Home
comfort and good living.
Rooms, $1 00 per day and upward
Table d'Hote Breakfast, .50; Dinner, $1.25
WM. TAYLOR & SON, Inc., Also
HOTEL MARTINIQUE, Broadway and 33rd St.
To reach St. Denis Hotel from Day Line Boats,
take Houston Street Car at Pier and transfer North
at Broadway direct to Hotel.