|THE LIFE AND CHESS OF PAUL MORPHY|
According to David Lawson, the chess club on Royal St. was above "the popular Sazerac Coffee House."
Actually, the Sazerac Coffee House wasn't established by Sewell Taylor until 1853 and then it was on Exchange Alley. The Coffee House became widely known for it's exclusive drink, The Sazerac cocktail, which was made from using only using only Sazerac de Forge et Fils brandy. What Mr. Lawson must be alluding to is the pharmacy which was operated on Royal St. starting in the 1830's. Antoine Peychaud was a Creole immigrant and an apothecary. He carried his calling a step further and became a well known mixologist. One of the favorite concoctions that he served during his late night parties was a mixture of brandy, absinthe and a dash of his secret bitters. This drink in many forms would later be known as the Sazerac.