Weiner, M.    0 /

Event table notes

Event data
Name: Szombathely Tournament
Place: Szombathely
Start date: 1891
End date: 13 Apr. 1891

Notes:
Rosenberg and Seress dropped out before completing all their games, so their scores were cancelled officially, but their played games are included here for rating purposes. The crosstable in Budapesti Sakk-Szemle (1 May 1891, p.35) has some inconsistencies for these two players. Rosenberg's first game against Spiegel is marked as unplayed, but Spiegel's first against Rosenberg is marked as a loss. I assume it was actually the second game and was unplayed. Stadler against Rosenberg is given as a loss followed by a win (01), as is Rosenberg against Stadler. I presume one of these has the entries in the wrong order. Kohn has a win and a loss against Rosenberg, while Rosenberg has two wins against Kohn. I assume that Rosenberg won both. Weiner has two losses against Rosenberg, while Rosenberg has a win and a loss against Weiner. I assume the second game was not played. Stadler's second game against Seress is marked as unplayed, while Seress has a loss in his second game against Stadler. I assume it was not played. Kohn is marked with two unplayed games against Seress, while Seress has a win and an unplayed game against Kohn. I assume the first was indeed a win for Seress. The report in Budapesti Sakk-Szemle says clearly that Korchmáros won both of the two play-off games against Spiegel for first place. It also indicates that Roder won a play-off against Weiner for 5th place, but does not give the exact score. It may be that it was also a 2-0 result, but it seems possible that it could have gone 1.5-0.5, so I will just use a soft result of 1-0 to be conservative.

References
Books
   Barcza, Magyar Sakktörténet, Vol.1, page 171
Periodicals
   [BSS], vol. 3, no. 5, 1 May 1891, page 34

Tournament page created: 6 May 2022